Tuesday, January 16, 2007

What's Hot.. and What's Not in Home Trends for 2007


Marshall Loeb, who writes for MoneyWatch, has some great ideas in 8 Trends to help You Sell your Home

What's In?


  • His and Her Home offices:
I think this has been an increasing trend for sometime. This is especially true as more people work out of their homes.



  • Sylstone or Other Manufactured Products instead of Granite:
Sylstone, Ceasar stone and other engineered products just hold up better and require less maintenance


  • More Storage Space:
Walk in pantries, wine bars with storage and mini wine coolers are big for kitchen areas. An enclosed area where you can store large bulky items like luggage and Holiday/Christmas decorations is something all women dream about. Personally I think all homes should have coat closets by the front door.


  • Wrought Iron Fencing:
It's beautiful...think old Spanish in Beverly Hills.. but it takes some maintenance if you are using it at the beach.


  • Glass Tile instead of Ceramic Tile
Personally I love glass tile. I think it adds punch to any room.. whether used in the kitchen or bath.

What's Out?


  • Stainless Steel Appliances:

    I never figured out the fascination with stainless steel. My Mom had it in our kitchen when I was a kid and I can tell you it is miserable to clean.


    • Bowl-Shaped above the Counter Sinks:
    Here's another decorating item that I learned to hate from personal experience. I will never have another sink that is not an under the counter model.


    • Bamboo Flooring
    I was very surprised at this one as I was told bamboo was much harder then other wood floors. Reports say it dents and warps. I'm finding myself drawn to darker stained floors like walnut and cherry but I do wonder about the upkeep.


    • Glass Fronted Cabinet Doors
    I don't care I love these..The major complaint was that you always had to keep items in cabinets neat. Obviously these people never saw doors with opaque or design glass.

    No comments: